Happy September! I love dried cranberries and walnuts together around fall time, especially paired with acorn squash! I’m pretty picky about squash, but acorn is one of my favorites. It can be intimidating at the grocery store, but it’s super easy to prepare. I made the quinoa lentil salad ahead of time to eat for the week over salad for lunch or for dinner recipes like this one 🙂
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Salad (makes about 4 servings)
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/2 dry green lentils
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2-3 T sliced green onion
Few stems of fresh basil
Black pepper, pink salt, dried sage, dried oregano
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 T honey mustard
1 T honey or agave nectar
Stuffed Acorn Squash
1/2 acorn squash
1 serving Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Salad (see above)
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Salad:
- Cook quinoa and lentils separately according to package.
- Mix in dried cranberries, walnuts, green onion, and spices.
- Mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey mustard and agave nectar for dressing. This can either be added as eaten or mixed in all at once.
Stuffed Acorn Squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and scoop seeds out.
- Spray with coconut/olive oil spray and season with black pepper and salt.
- Place facedown on foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from oven and place one serving of cranberry walnut quinoa salad in the middle of the squash. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Cook in oven for another 8-10 minutes.
Served with roasted broccoli and green beans.